Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My bike friends...

I have been blessed with some really cool friends, several of which have decided to join me on the 100 mile ride in October. These guys know exactly what they are in for too because they are also on the Saint Arnold Brewery cycling team for the MS 150. I have to admit though that I think they enjoy the beer more then the riding, but frankly, who wouldn’t??? I have picked up the number of days to ride recently after taking a short break while the Dixon clan invaded my house for a week. Leading up to the week of their stay, I was trying to busy myself with getting everything just so in preparation for their arrival. Therefore, little to no riding or working out at the gym was done. I didn’t actually work out, but (to use the phrase my colleague enjoys so much) I was busier then a one-armed paper hanger while they were in town, and I was too pooped to even think about getting up super early to ride or exert any unnecessary energy. Alas, I have taken a few steps back in the training.

I did ride on Sunday with the guys who will be joining me on the ride in October. We got doused with rain for half the time, but at least it wasn’t hot! When I mean rain, I mean rain like having a pitcher of water dumped on your head, or diving in a pool type of getting wet! We were all soaked to the core... shoes, socks, jerseys, hair, even the padding in my cycling shorts were, well... wet. I don’t think I need to go any further. It was fun though, and riding with these guys is always entertaining... usually non-stop banter. I particularly like watching them sprint ahead of each other and “race” for 100 yards or so, then crap out and slow down cause they aren’t in any shape to maintain that pace for more then 100 yards. I’m never worried about “racing” with them, I figure every time they will burn out and I’ll eventually catch up. One thing I noticed, no matter how old the man is, the ‘boy’ part of him never vacates the mind. They could have had riding big wheels for all they cared, but the older you get, the more expensive the toys!The video above is something I think my bike friends would do for fun...... ENJOY!

No comments: