Monday, September 10, 2007

$10,000 and counting!!!!

Well, I have finally done it; I have reached the $10,000 fundraising goal today. I’m so pleased with everyone’s support and encouragement! Thank you Robin for getting me through that number! I do believe I have slacked on the blog entries as of late, but honestly, I have been training. Here’s a quick summary: Sunday, 2 September I rode a flat 54 miles out west of Houston. Thankfully it was overcast, not too hot, good company. I got in a very short jog in Chicago on Thursday morning, and played golf on Friday, (but don’t think golfing counts really). Yesterday, after returning from a few days away, I rode a sponsored ride starting at the Prairie View A&M University campus, 63 miles for the Tour de Pink. This was a Pink Ribbons project fundraiser for breast cancer, this small but lively ride has raised over $225,000 for breast cancer research. Originally, I had intended to ride 80 miles, but I was too late to the start, and by the time I reached the turn off it had been closed. I rode strong for the first ¾ of the ride, keeping pace between 21-23mph, but slacked off the last ¼ due to being tired and having a few mechanical issues. Also, the pouring rain that I had encountered caused me to slow up a bit although the cool rain was very, very refreshing! Final stats for the ride, averaged 18.6mph, burned 2200 calories, and my heart rate average was 157. Not too shabby....

Here are some sponsored rides that I will likely do before my big event October 14th, in combination with my own personal rides with my “teammates.”

Ride the Coast, September 16, (distance uncertain)

The Raven Ride, September 22, 61 miles

Cy-Fair Lion’s Club Bike for Sight, September 30, 62 miles

This one is the weekend after the Ride for the Roses, but looks like it would be fun.
Bike Around the Bay, October 20-21, 170 miles total over 2 days,

One last thing, even though I have reached my goal, I will still be accepting donations up until the deadline set by the LAF. So please continue to forward the links and sending in the contributions. All donations have to be in by October 11, 2007. Let's see how much I can get the final tally too, I'm so very excited about this event!

No comments: