Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Being overly emotional?

It has been a week since my last long post. I have wanted to put something down on paper, but unfortunately, my thoughts have been all over the place. There really has been no set subject that I have wanted to discuss either, there have been many. How do I compile all that random thinking into a blog entry? Well... I have started taking notes, sounds silly I guess, but it has been helping. One thing in particular that I want to touch on is how much the media bombards us with sadness. Maybe I’m overly sensitive. I do seem to cry easily, but then again I am a woman and I think that is embedded in our genetic code. Ha Anyway, let me start here... I was watching ESPN a couple weeks ago. They frequently show programs about athlete’s personal lives and personal “struggles” etc etc. They play moving dramatic music, and have interviews and show pictures on and on and on. During this particular spot, ESPN was interviewing Los Angeles Lakers forward, Lamar Odom about his losses and his ability to move on and continue to play basketball. I knew this was going to be a tear jerker, I should have turned it off, but I think sometimes I’m a glutton for punishment. The program came right out and mentioned that he lost his mother to cancer at a young age (I got teary of course...), then went on to really drive it home by mentioning his latest tragedy, he lost his 6 ½ month old son to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). I completely lost composure! I walked into my kitchen sobbing looking for a tissue and cursing myself for crying yet again over ESPN’s documentary style reporting. I was thinking to myself that I’m a complete retard for letting my emotions get the best of me again.

Over the last year hearing or seeing anything cancer related has stirred up the ‘ol emotions, even the reference to the astrological sign. I have seen billboards advertising money for those with Stage 4 Cancer to do experimental treatments. Billboards! I start crying over those too. There are always programs on TV, or commercials advertising the best in treatment at this or that facility. If you search cancer online, there are millions of hits. I’m not sure if I’m overly sensitive or I’m just more in tune to the realities of this disease. Here are some statistics... on average 1 in 4 deaths in the U.S. are from cancer. That’s about 1500 people per day that die. I saw a projection in a medical article that about 559,000 people will pass this year in the States alone, because of cancer. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. behind heart disease. I maybe emotional for personal reasons, but the cancer issue in this country should make everyone emotional.

No comments: