Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Making your voice heard!!

The LAF sends out frequent emails regarding getting involved with the local Texas government. The organization as a whole keeps in front of our policy makers nationwide to make them aware of how important it is to find ways to treat and prevent cancer, and to enhance the lives of those living with cancer. I got an email today that reminded me that I should start posting these emails... I'm going to try and do my part in spreading the word... I have tried to include the links that will take you to the form letters to send to the local Texas delegates. If you would like to get the regular emails from the LAF, then you can just go to the website and sign up. www.livestrong.org


Quote






We've come too far to stop now!


Dear Andrea :


Last week, advocates just like you flooded the Texas Senate with emails and demanded change in the way our state deals with cancer. I'm proud to say that they heard you, and the bills passed out of the Senate Finance Committee Friday night with a unanimous vote! Thank you for your help, but we're not done yet. I need you to do it again. Please send one last message to your State Senator to make sure the Senate passes this bill with equal support this week.

This critical legislation will allow Texas to invest three billion dollars over the next ten years for cutting edge cancer research and programs. The bills are now on their way to the floor of the Senate and you have one more opportunity to tell your elected officials how you feel about this legislation. Most importantly, share your story with them; tell them why investing in cancer prevention and research means so much to you. Send a message to your State Senator TODAY.

I was at the Senate Finance Committee meeting late Friday night to testify to make sure that the voices of survivors were heard. You can find a link to my testimony at the May 19 Senate Finance Committee here. (The committee meeting was an hour and a half, if you fast forward to 40 minutes you'll see my testimony)

I talked about how we're not doing enough to battle cancer, we've come a long way, but we're not there yet. The system is broken, and we have a unique opportunity to fix it here in our own state. We have a chance to make Texas a global leader in fighting cancer.

I really feel that the fight against cancer is at a tipping point in Texas. The first step is to get this passed out of the Senate and signed by the Governor. Then we have to make our case to the people of Texas. I'm in this for the long haul, I'm ready for the fight and I hope you'll join me. If you haven't yet, send a message to your State Senator.

LIVESTRONG,

Lance Armstrong
LIVESTRONG Army


unquote

No comments: