Friday, May 11, 2007

Texas Rain

I love Texas thunder storms! The cooling breeze, the light show, the noise, and the smell of the rain, it's all just completely amazing. When I lived in the northeast growing up, we would only get rains like ones last night in the middle of the summer when it was super hot. Down here, its a regular occurrence. Well... Its super hot most of the year here in Houston, and we are relatively close to a large body of warm water.

I was sitting on my patio last night, enjoying my newly sodded back yard, with beer in hand just looking up at the sky watching the incredible lightening show. It went on for quite a while before it decided to let loose and completely soak my little green footprint. It's nights like last night that make me so happy to be healthy and able to enjoy nature. I get a similar feeling when I'm out on my bicycle riding for miles on some back country Texas road, looking at bluebonnets in the spring, going through the hills of central Texas, and watching beautiful birds fly by or perch on a fence post. It's just an all around good feeling.

What adds to this feeling is riding with purpose! I'm riding this summer for a cure for cancer. I'm riding to better the lives of people living with cancer. I'm riding in memory of my mother, uncle, aunt and all those who have lost their lives to cancer. I'm riding to raise money and raise awareness of this disease. I need support and donations to fall on me like the Texas rain falls in my back yard. I need to be flooded... support the cause, fight cancer.

No comments: