Thursday, May 10, 2007

Running night

Last night's exercise was sprint training. I don't know how many people truly like to run, I know I don't, but this was pretty fun. Jim and I took the boxer to Hermann park and sprinted up the hill over by the outdoor theater. Great for glutes, hamstring, and calf strength. Sprinting is a relative term I guess, all depends on the person. One thing is for sure, I'm good for endurance, but speed... forget it! Jim was up the hill and ready to jog back down as I was about half way there to the top. ARGGGGGGGGGG! Oh well, I know it will only make me stronger and faster by doing these regularly. Jim swears by them. The dog on the other had was pulling me up the hill for about half of the time. The other half of the time he decided he was done and I had to pull him up the rest of the way. After he decided he wanted to sit in the middle of one, Jim and I had to trade off so his lazy ass could sit there, wag his little nub of a tail and greet us with slimy lick when we reached the bottom.

We did 12 of these "sprints" over about 15-20 minutes, and then walked and lightly jogged for about another 40 minutes. I maintained an average heart rate over that time of about 135 bpm, burned approximately 355 calories, and generally felt plenty good. All the statistics were as per my trusty-dusty heart rate monitor of course.

Another part of the evening was a romp around the playground. I love playgrounds! I can never imagine how, when I was little, I swung like an ape from different parts of the contraption. I never realized how much back strength it took to hang from "monkey-bars" and make my way across. This just makes me realize that when I was little, pound for pound, I was a little machine. Now a days.. no way, how embarrassing! I need to work on my core strength too I guess. I would like to be able to do a couple of pull-ups without the assistance of someone pushing up on my knees or the "gravitron" at the gym that counteracts my weight.

OH... I got my first official donation today from my friend and colleague, Mason Cardwell. Thanks Mason for the $250 donation!!!!

Another thing, I have added a links section to the blog. I have a few cancer blogs and a website from the Discovery Channel that allows people to post a quick blurb about their connections to cancer. Check it out... I will add to the collage too, but I want to dig through my pictures and get some of my mom when she was younger and my brother and I were little.

That's all for now....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well - this is afirst! I have never logged onto or responded to a blog before - but I enjoyed your entries and really would like to to talk to you more about your training - I do want to do this ride!!
Take Care greg